Crunchy Asian Lettuce Wraps
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 package extra-firm organic tofu or super firm (do not use silken)
- 8 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms, finely chopped in a food processor
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger or ginger paste
- 1-2 tsp of red chili garlic paste or sauce
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 head of The Villages Grown Bibb or Butter lettuce to use as cups
- 1/2 cup of shredded carrots
- Microgreens for garnish (optional)
- In a small blender or food processor, add the hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame seeds and red chili paste together. Set aside.
- Press the tofu to squeeze out as much liquid as possible using paper towels. Heat oil in a nonstick pan until hot and then crumble in the tofu, breaking it into very small pieces as it cooks.
- Continue cooking for 5 minutes, then add the diced mushrooms and carrots. Continue cooking until any remaining tofu liquid cooks off, about 3-4 minutes more.
- Stir in the water chestnuts, garlic, and ginger.
- Add half of the green onions and cook until heated, about 30 seconds.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the tofu mixture and stir to coat. Cook just until you hear bubbling and the sauce is warmed through, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Spoon the rice and the tofu mixture into individual lettuce leaves. Top with additional red chili paste and hoisin sauce if desired.
- Top your Lettuce Wraps with the rest of the green onions and microgreens if desired.