African Sweet Potato, Kale, and Garbanzo Stew
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, cubed into 1" pieces
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 (10 oz) cans of Rotel (Tip: Substitute fire-roasted tomatoes if Rotel is too spicy.)
- 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
- 2 cups The Villages Grown kale, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter (or powdered peanut butter)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Place the water, onion, ginger, and garlic in a large pot. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, cinnamon, and coriander. Cook and stir for 1 additional minute.
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, kale, vegetable broth and peanut butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cilantro and let rest for 2 minutes. Top with fresh chopped cilantro.