Hearty Kale and Roasted Tomato Stew
- 1 lb of navy or great northern beans soaked overnight
- 1 (2–3 inch) piece of Kombu/kelp (Tip: this makes the beans more digestible.)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 small can of tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch of The Villages Grown kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil
- Drain and rinse beans.
- If using a pressure cooker, place all ingredients into the pot and mix well. Seal the pot, press manual and cook for 12 minutes, using a natural release (15-20 minutes).
- If cooking conventionally, place all ingredients, except for the kale, into a large pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook until beans are tender, approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Add in chopped kale during the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- Serve stew over rice or on its own. Garnish with a sprig of basil and fresh cracked pepper.